September 10, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

An Interview with Sherri Scavo



Sherri and her husband Pastor Craig Scavo serve Faith Lutheran in Durant Oklahoma. They have two grown children and one grandchild.

When I asked Sherri what her ministry was in the church she immediately said, “My biggest ministry is supporting my husband.” She has been involved in youth, music and WMF ministries. She replied, “I let the Lord draw me into the ministry He wants me to be in.” “The Lord took me into a ministry once that I didn’t think I felt comfortable with but it turned out to be a blessing.”

When I asked Sherri if she could encourage the pastor’s wives what would she say to them she responded with, “Be aware and present in your congregation.” “It is not about the ministry that you do it is just being aware of the members of the congregations.” “This is true for the seminettes as well,” she said, “letting your fellow seminettes know that you care.”

Sherri gave an example of a practical side to being aware and present in the congregation. “For instance, she said, “if there is a lady who is not very vocal but is extremely sensitive in your congregation and the Lord prompts you to call her and you do, you then are being obedient to the Lord.” “Maybe she just wanted someone to visit her and for you to just listen.” “By doing that we show that we care for her.”

“All of us women can be aware of other women and respond to them by letting the Lord lay that woman on our hearts.” “Even by letting them know that you are going to pray for them.” “ It isn’t being a fixer but it is just being aware of what God wants for us.” She said. “ During the 6 years that I have been a pastor’s wife, I have learned that in the ministry just be who you are.” “God uses you for who you are.” “Don’t try to be somebody you are not because they will see right through it”

Another encouragement that Sherri shared with me was to always respond to someone who asks you to serve in this or that capacity with, “I am going to pray about that and talk to my husband and I will get back to you.” Sometimes we are too quick to say no or yes and when we choose to do this properly there is not a negative response. “After all who will argue with you when you say you have to pray about it and talk to your husband”?

When I asked Sherri if she had a favorite Bible verse she said yes and it is placed on my fridge. It was one that she had from seminettes. I Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up just as you are doing (ESV)

“Be aware and encourage one another.” “Don’t get wrapped up in the negativism of the world.” She said. “Be an encouragement to your family, husband and your fellow believers and non-believers.” “Non-believers recognize when individuals are encouraging.” “When we have the spirit of positivism and not negativism, that raises the question, what is in her to make her happy”?

“In seminettes we encouraged each other in those times of long hours and separation from family.” She reported. “We were there for each other to build one another up during this wonderful, blessed and yet trying experience.” “Always encourage our husbands,” she reminded. “They constantly need encouragement they are not only Pastors but men with daily struggles.”

“ Just like eating is a daily practice so is reading the Word.” “We cannot do any of this with out the Word of God feeding us.”