September 15, 2010

HELPFUL HINTS FOR HOME

One Size Doesn’t Fit All

Being in full-time ministry often includes the opportunity to practice hospitality. People of all ages, with many different needs, can be blessed by the opening of our homes’ doors. The sharing of a meal, or simply a glass of lemonade, can tell people that they have found a safe and accepting place to share their joys, hurts, and struggles.
One simple way I’ve found that lets people know they are a special guest in my home, is to serve their meal or snack on unusual dishes. I’ve had the privilege of living in several areas where I’ve been given or purchased “fun” dinnerware pieces. Using them brings me the joy of special memories and the delight of seeing people enjoying being served in something different than the everyday norm.
For children: Even if you don’t have little ones in your home, do you have some child friendly dishes and utensils? Cheery unbreakable plates seem to make everything taste better. How about some easy to handle plastic tumblers for little hands to grasp? When we have children into our home (in addition to our own), I love pulling out my Looney Tunes plastic cups. Drinking juice out of a Tweetie Bird mug has made many a little one smile. Also, visiting moms and dads will feel much more relaxed knowing their little sweeties won’t break your great aunt’s glass goblets.
Teens: They’re always hungry and thirsty aren’t they? When my sons’ friends come over I break out the big A&W mugs, get some divided Chinet paper plates, and have plenty of napkins on hand. For teen girls, bring out some of your pretty dishes, colorful tablecloths, and a vase of flowers from the backyard. Girls of all ages enjoy feeling special, don’t they? I still have girls who’ve eaten off my vibrant flower plates that ask me if I still have them several years later. I’m happy to say yes, although a few have been broken with moves and wear.
Men: When I married my husband he had no less than twenty-two Big Gulp Twins glasses from 7-Eleven. I was quick to liquidate that supply, but have learned through the years to keep a few replacements on hand. Why? Because he and his friends like BIG tumblers much better than my dainty water glasses. I guess Mountain Dew was meant to be enjoyed 32 oz. at a time. Also - do you have big mugs in your home for serving coffee? So much easier for many men to use rather than the standard cup size.
Women: Having a friend, or a group of ladies over? Do you have a special set of dessert plates that you save for special occasions? Break them out and enjoy! I love using my hand painted Portuguese dishes that seem to make something as simple as a brownie and cup of chai seem more delicious. Don’t have pieces on hand? Check out your local thrift store, garage sale, or attic, for fun mismatched heirloom style dishes to use.
Enjoy welcoming people into your home, making them feel comfortable and loved, and the benefits may very well last not just for a lifetime, but for eternity.