September 15, 2010

FOCUS

INTERVIEW WITH
GLORIA LEE



Gloria Lee is the wife of Pastor Robert L Lee. Pastor Lee is now a teacher at our AFLBS. Gloria is the mother of two children and five grandchildren.

When I asked Gloria what she felt her ministry was when her and her husband were serving the churches she said, “First of all my home was first priority.” “I feel that my husband needed a Place of Peace.” “ I also taught Sunday School, lead WMF Bible Studies and directed children’s choirs.” “ Sometimes it was four parishes that had WMF Bible Studies to go to.” “ I counted it a privilege to go to the different WMF Bible Studies as it was there that I learned from other women and grew in the Lord.” As I visited more with Gloria I found out that hospitality was one of their main ministries. She said, “When people came over on the spur of the moment it was fun to just put on the coffee and just visit together in a relaxed atmosphere and to get to know the people.”

I asked Gloria if she could leave words of encouragement to all of us pastor’s wives as she looked back over the years. She said, “Keep your relationship with the Lord the utmost of importance in your life.” She encouraged us to ask our husbands to purchase a second pastor’s handbook and use it during your devotions to pray for each pastor, pastor’s family and all of the committee members including the AFLBS,AFLTS and AFLC staff. She had found it to be most rewarding and felt it was good to pray for one another. Gloria stated with a loving tone, “You know going into the ministry people are waiting to love you more than in any other occupation.” So from that I gathered that we should allow the people to love us and to be so grateful for all of that love. Another idea she has for us is to make a book of all of the weddings, funerals, anniversaries and baptisms that your husband performed or was involved in to look back and remember all of the people that you had been involved with over the years.” “Another thing” she said “I tried to sit in a different place each Sunday with my children because then I would be able to sit around different ones and could visit with them on a more personal basis.” “I also taught Sunday School so that I could share the word of Jesus with the children and to get to know the children at the church better.” When I talked to her about the involvement in the church she said, “It is good to just find out what needs there are in the church that are not covered and then if you see a need then ask if we could start it.” “Remember though,” she warned, “ you can’t do everything all of the time.” Pastor’s wives think they have to be super at everything that they do and they don’t have to be.”

Gloria’s life verse is Isaiah 40:31. But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint. That verse then has flowed now into Psalm 18:1. I love you, O Lord, my strength.