November 9, 2009

HELPFUL HINTS FOR HOME

Last week we put childproof locks on our bathroom and kitchen cupboard doors to keep our toddler safe from finding and handling our household cleaners. As I put the cleaners away behind the locked door, I began to think about how dangerous these chemicals could be to my child should she get into them. This sparked my interest into checking out how to make my own nontoxic household cleaners. (Not to mention making my own cleaners would be frugal!)

I turned to the Internet to get some ideas and recipes. I learned that there are some basic, nontoxic ingredients in homemade cleaners: baking soda and white vinegar. There are also some key ingredients: soap (dish soap or liquid castile soap-found in health food stores) olive oil, club soda, and glycerin. Many recipes call for essential oils (found in health food stores or special health food sections in some grocery stores). Essential oils disguise the smell of vinegar and some (tea tree oil) have cleaning properties.

Finding a recipe is easy by simply typing, “making household cleaners” into your search engine of choice. In my researching, I found Tipnut.com to be a helpful website. I also came across what looks to be a helpful book by Karen Logan, Clean House Clean Planet- Clean Your House for Pennies a Day, the Safe Nontoxic Way. It is available at local bookstores or maybe at your local library