November 9, 2009

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Interview with Andrea Christenson
By Mary Pollestad


Andrea Christenson is the wife of Lay pastor Eric Christenson who serves Amery Free Lutheran in Amery WI. They have two girls.

I asked Andrea to tell us what she knew the Lord had called her to do in the ministry at Amery Free. “Well she said, I would have to say that my ministry is encouragement.” She replied, “First of all it is to my husband. To love him and support him in anyway that I can. To encourage him and help him.” “The second thing is to minister to my family.” “ I would have to say the third thing is to encourage different groups of people in the church.” “Sometimes,” she said, “that might be to come along side in various ways for ideas or projects and supporting them in whatever they may need.” “It may not be to lead something but to just give an idea.” “One of the things that I am working on in this area is to write a small note of encouragement or do a phone call.” I am trying to become intentional about meeting peoples needs on a one to one basis.” “Of course” she said, “There is always serving in and amongst the youth of the church.”

Following through with our theme for this month I asked her if she were to give a word of encouragement for the pastor’s wife what would that be. She promptly said, “The Bible verses that come to me are “God will never leave you or forsake you. And another one is “God never Changes He is always the same”. “And still another one that I have been really blessed with lately is, The Joy of the Lord is my strength.”

If Andrea was going to give a bit of encouragement to all of us Pastor’s wives it would be stated like this. “Lately she said I have had a very Freeing thought come over me in the last year that the only expectations we should have to live up to are those of God’s.” “Sometimes we have expectations of what we should be like.” “Or we look at others and we think we should be like them.” “God has called each one of us for a purpose, we don’t have to fit into man’s mold but into God’s.” “We should not expect ourselves to fit into this Christian woman mold that is unrealistic.” “If I could say it this way, be whom God created you to be not a victim of your own expectations or anyone else’s.”

I asked her for some words of wisdom for those women going into a different part of ministry within their church or even being called to a different church she said, As we look at where God may be taking us next within the church or in another church let us remember it may not look exactly the same but God will use you.” “He equips who He calls.”