July 10, 2012

WORDS TO INSPIRE


 “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count other more significant that yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4 (ESV)

We as pastor’s wives wear many hats including serving as an encourager, prayer warrior and confidant. Though we may experience a unique role in our congregations, our attitude in serving our Savior is no more than what Paul encourages all believers to possess. He continues, “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, (Phil. 2:5ff).

My life is not about me; it’s about the Lord. Isaiah’s saw God’s glory. His encounter (6:5-8) with God’s holiness seared not only his lips, but his heart. Isaiah’s humble response to his call to service: “Here am I. Send me.” Contemplate the Lord’s unlimited goodness and mercy, His immeasurable love and power, and our attitude in service changes.

Rhoda Jore, missionary to Uganda, captured the essence of Christ-like service. She wrote of her struggle on occasion to graciously receive unexpected guests, considered to be an honor in the culture, while in the midst of managing a busy household. “I often see it as an intrusion rather than an honor. But I have found that each time God gives me what I need to step out and receive in love. He gives joy and a knowing that it is not myself that I am extending, but Him. People are not looking for us, they are looking for Him.”

May God bless our service for His glory.