January 8, 2011

CHECK IT OUT

Book Review
Treasures of Encouragement - Women Helping Women in the Church
by Sharon W Betters

During my husband's pastoral internship a dear godly woman shared with me this precious book on encouragement. Not only did my own heart need to be encouraged I was at a loss as to how to encourage others. As I read through the book statement after statement seemed to leap off the page to minister to my hurting heart. I found I wanted to underline or highlight passage after passage soaking up every word of encouragement to bathe my hurting heart. As Sharon states, Biblical encouragement is soul work.

Through events in her own life and those of other women, Sharon Betters shares how Christ has shown her what true Biblical encouragement can do to revive hope in hurting hearts. When we have Christ in us, we have the treasures of His encouragement at our fingertips. Each chapter opens with one or more true encouragement stories, an Encouragement Principle and six days of daily devotions. "Women who know Christ and the power of His resurrection realize that God does not leave us helpless in the face of difficulty. He miraculously transforms our meager offerings and uses even the simplest acts to bring about dramatic change. Although this book was written from the crucible of suffering, it is not about grief. It is about how God uses us--His children--to do soul work as we become His promise keepers. It is about the privilege of giving to others from the treasure chest of our salvation."

Encouragement Principle #5 - The directing force behind encouragement is God's Word. As the author states, " When we turn to Scripture, we enter the presence of God. And that is where we learn to face the life He has for us. We cheat our fellow believers if we neglect God's Word, for how can we minister in the name of Jesus if we don't know the power of that name in our own hearts? It is only through the knowledge of His Word and the power of His Spirit that we can become His promise keepers."

2 Corinthians 4:7 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." How often I have failed to speak encouragement to someone because I felt inadequate to share. As Sharon explains, the truth is we are inadequate, we are but jars of clay. It is when we allow God to break apart our jars of clay that He can display the treasure of the Gospel. I am learning that the process shows His power and not my weaknesses.

This is a book you will not only treasure for the work it does in your own heart, you will want to share the message with other women in your church too. It is not a quick read but solid food for the soul. I am so thankful and praise God for the lovely sister in Christ who shared this book with me