December 31, 2008

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

AN INTERVIEW WITH
HEATHER COYLE
By Mary Pollestad

Heather Coyle is a mother of three children and serves with her husband Dana in Illinois, at a two point parish Freedom and St. Petrie. When Heather was asked what the word TRUST meant to her she paused and thought for awhile and said, “ it is PEACE.” “ Peace that God will use me.” “ Peace that He will be there for me.” “ It is the faithfulness of God to me no matter if there is chaos all around”. “Also I can trust and see Him working even if I don’t understand the situations.”

I asked Heather what she thought her ministry was in the churches. She said, “First it is being a helpmate.” “ Giving encouragement and support to Dana.” “Support in prayer to him first of all and then just listening.” The other ministry that she senses God calling her to use is her gift of MERCY. “People feel free to talk to me,” She said. “Sometimes I just listen and don’t say anything.” “Sometimes I listen and just pray for them.” “Most of the time people just want you to listen and to keep that confidence” she explained. Dana says, “ I am approachable and that is why people feel very free to talk to me.” “The key is to keep that confidence,” she warned.

I asked her if she was going to leave one note of encouragement to all of the pastor’s wives what would that be. She thought for a bit and then explained. “Be content with who you are.” “Don’t feel that you have to fit into a certain mold.” Sometimes you may feel like, “What am I doing for Jesus.” Just seek Him in your daily devotions and prayer. “The second thing is to spend time whenever you can with your spouse building your relationship,” she said. “The third encouragement would be “Don’t stretch yourself too thin.” “And the fourth thing would be,” as she sighed “ to know your gifts and don’t be afraid to say “NO”.