October 9, 2008

GETTING TO KNOW YOU


INTERVIEW
WITH
PAULA MCLOUGHLIN

By Mary Pollestad

For the next few issues we will be having interviews with several pastor’s wives in our AFLC Family. Our first interview is with Paula McLaughlin. Paula is the mother of two children and she and her husband serve Timberland Ringbu and Hosanna Free Lutheran in rural Wisconsin.

When I asked Paula what she felt her ministry was in the church she immediately replied, “Encouraging ladies to more spiritual growth and to go deeper in the Word of God.” I then asked her what she felt her calling was within the church and immediately she said, “That would be the children.” “I like to teach them because they are so open and honest and so eager to grow to learn more about Jesus.” “They tell it like it is” she said “not like we adults who shy away sometimes” “I also like to go out on some of the visits with my husband.” When I asked her what she thought she could do for her husband to encourage him in the ministry she immediately said. “Encourage him all the time in whatever way I can.” “Just sitting and listening to him and being his confidant” “Also, I can help him in the ministry by making sure the things are done at home so when he gets home he doesn’t have to do them.” “Most of all, she said encouraging him by praying for him everyday.” “Also, if I have a positive attitude as a wife that really encourages my husband.”

If she was going to give a definition of the word surrender she said, “Surrender every aspect of your life all through the week.” “Whether you are in the grocery store, church or gas station.” “If your life is surrendered to Christ it will come out in your daily life.” “It will be evident.”