May 6, 2010

NEEDS OF THE REAL WORLD

Legacy of Fruitfulness


Do we want to leave a Legacy of Fruitfulness? Do we care about leaving a legacy of fruitfulness? Have we even thought of leaving a legacy of fruitfulness? If we know Jesus as our Personal Savior and Lord the answer to that should be yes I want to leave a legacy of fruitfulness. What is the fruitfulness that I must leave? What does God want me to leave as a legacy? I know what I want to leave but more importantly what does God want me to leave.

First of all I must go to the word and read. Jesus drew people to himself to teach and encourage and many other things. God wants me to be approachable. People should want to be with me. I want to make sure that I am not concentrating on myself. Jesus did not concentrate on himself. As I grow older I don’t want to concentrate on my aches and pains but to ask about them and their concerns. My focus must always show that my concentration is on Jesus. Whether that is by being in the Word with Bible Study and prayer or worship. I must always be a voice of encouragement and thankfulness.

On the practical side, is to be a life long learner. Never stop learning. Especially, when it comes to relating to the things that my children or my grandchildren know about. Keeping in touch with things. Sometimes seeing the dangers and praying for them or warning them when the time is right and the spirit has prepared the way. When they talk to me, be willing to listen to their ideas and thoughts. Being a mentor. Learning from others is important. One practical point is to be honest that I don’t understand and would they teach me.

Laughter is another aspect of the legacy. “A merry heart doeth good” I want to be able to laugh and enjoy life that the Lord has given me.


One of the traits that can turn an example of a good legacy sour is to live in the past. We must learn from the past. We must see the hand of God in the past. We must see how we came through the suffering and pain in the past. Most of all see God’s eternal faithfulness during that time. I don’t want to be remembered as someone who complains or tells of all of my terrible past. But rather I want to pass on a legacy of how God has blessed me, abided in me and been my strength.


And when death is at the door of a loved one or friend I want to have a biblical view of suffering and death. Here I remember the 23rd Psalm. Let us be encouraged to leave a God filled legacy of fruitfulness.