September 4, 2009

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Interview With
Michelle Mobley
By Mary Pollestad

Michelle Mobley is married to Pastor Wade Mobley. Wade and Michelle serve Living Word Free Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Wade and Michelle have served Living Word Free for seven years. They have one daughter.

When I asked Michelle what she thought her ministry was in the church she replied, “My ministry is to Wade”. “I have led ladies Bible Studies and have helped in children’s ministry but I would have to say that praying for him and listening to him is my ministry.” “I am still learning to do that though.” She chuckled. “I also think listening is my ministry.” “Listening to Wade even when I don’t have an answer.” I asked Michelle what her strong point was in the ministry and she said it was flexibility. “I think that is so important in the ministry as schedules change and church responsibilities change.,” she said. “That isn’t easy for some to do,” she said, “but I have found it to be a great asset in the ministry.” I asked Michelle to look back over the 7 years and also look to the future to give a comparison of the years of ministry. “Well, she said in the beginning I struggled with should I do that or this compared to now I think more of am I called to do this in the church or is someone else called.” “As I look to the future I know that God will equip me or all of us women for what is ahead.” “Also, learn to serve and to love the congregation.” she replied. “It is very vital to love your congregation.” As she looked at the verses in Hebrews 12:11,12 she shared these thoughts with me. “The first thing is to acknowledge the pain.,” she said. “I learned during this adoption journey to acknowledge the pain and allow others to come along side me during the pain. “Also to trust others during the pain.” “The results is the peaceful fruit of righteousness.” “Being vulnerable is hard for me.” Michelle stated. “But being vulnerable has taught me also that God can do His work during the pain.” Michelle reminded me, “While the pain is occurring we still need to keep going.”

If Michelle were to leave a word of encouragement for all of us pastor’s wives it would be to stay fed in the Word. “Sometimes we become so busy in church work we forget to get fed.” she reminded. “I have found that just to take a few verses each day and just meditate on them all day long has been a blessing to me.” “Even though we are busy moms in the pews listening to God’s Word being taught or sung is a way to be fed also.” “We must be fed” she said, “ daily in God’s Word.” If I were going to have devotions in the same way that I did before children I probably wouldn’t have devotions at all”. She chuckled. “That is why meditating on just a few verses all day has blessed me.” Another word of encouragement would be some advice that I got from another pastor’s wife. “Don’t defend your husband.” Michelle said. “But to encourage those who have grievances to talk to your husband thus you are not getting involved in the situation.”